Becoming a Member
Membership is renewable annually in the month of September. To join or to renew membership you need to:
- Read the YCS Membership Guidelines for 2017-18
- Pay the current year’s dues (see next section)
- Submit a YCS Registration Form for 2017-18 in person or by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perform a voice check and placement exercise at the discretion of the Artistic Director
- Voice Check and Placements:
All new singers must do a voice placement with Margo before their first choir rehearsal. It lasts about 5-minutes and is private. To show they can carry a tune, singers are asked to sing Happy Birthday or the chorus of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. The singer and Margo will then determine the singer's "range" by finding the highest and lowest notes each singer can sing. Each singer will then be placed within the section of the choir that should work best with their vocal range. There are 4 parts to the choir: soprano - for the highest voices; alto - for lower female voices; tenor - for higher male and lowest female voices; and bass - for the lowest voices.
- Renewal of Membership can be denied if, in the Board’s judgment, your membership is not in the best interests of the society and the choir (requirement of Societies Act)
The dues for the 2017-2018 choral season are:
- $50 membership fee of the Society plus
- Choir Registration Fees:
- Aurora Chorealis: $150 per season ($75 if you join in January) plus society membership fee.
- Ursa Miners Chamber Choir: $50 plus society membership fee for those who are not already members.
n.b. Registration for Ursa Miners can only be submitted after a successful audition, at the invitation of the director.
Payment is to be made by cash or cheque to the Yellowknife Choral Society, or by . Membership dues are set for each year based on budgetary requirements. The Board makes every attempt to keep the fees reasonable through fundraising initiatives and ticket sales. A new or renewing member can apply to the Registrar, President or Treasurer for partial or complete waiver of annual dues in case of financial hardship. At the discretion of the Treasurer, members may be granted a prorated reimbursement if they are unable to continue to sing with the choir.
Rehearsal Schedule 2017-2018 season
- Starting on September 5th, regular rehearsals take place every Tuesday from 7pm - 9:30pm at Calvary Church until mid April, with a break in December.
- Additional optional sectional rehearsals are scheduled by the Artistic Director, on an as needed bases.
- There will also be a day long retreat in October and 2 additional rehearsals on the weekend immediately preceeding show weeks.
- Technical and dress rehearsals are mandatory (up to 2 for each concert) during the concert week.
This choir relies on email for correspondence and communication. Membership lists are updated twice annually, in September and January. Please keep your Section Leader informed of any changes of your contact information.
Rehearsal and Performance Expectations
- All singers are expected to attend regularly and be on time for scheduled rehearsals and events.
- If you will miss a rehearsal please contact your section leader, preferably in advance. All singers have a responsibility to be 'performance ready' by the performance week, as determined by the Artistic Director. Those who have missed more than three rehearsals may be contacted by the Director to assess 'performance readiness'. It is the singer's responsibility to review the missed material on their own and to get notes and markings from their section members at the next rehearsal.
- If singers are unwell and unable to sing they are, nevertheless, encouraged to attend to observe the rehearsal.
- Technical and dress rehearsals are mandatory. Singers who miss one of these must discuss this with the Director. It may be necessary to watch one performance before joining the group.
- If you cannot sing a concert for any reason, please inform your section leader and the Director as soon as you become aware you cannot perform.
All singers are expected to work on their music between rehearsals. You will be given an outline of the music that will be rehearsed to allow you to prepare in advance and remain current if your miss a rehearsal. A copy of this schedule will also be available on our internal singer' facebook page and on our internal website.
Learning tools will be available for singers who do not read music.
The Artistic Director will announce the dress for each engagement. Please wear no perfumes or scents during rehearsals and concerts.
Voluntary and Fund Raising Expectations
All singers are expected to volunteer to help with necessary tasks and fundraising activities.